Thursday, October 17, 2013

Motherland as Muse

Warning: This post is longer than my usual entry, please bear with me.
I woke up this morning with the realization that, in my quest to get the word out about my paranormal romance series, I've been neglecting a very important rule--know your audience. I've been making a point to mention my Dogon Hunter novels early and often on my Facebook page and through my Twitter account, but with the exception of the ocassional mention on various Delta Sigma Theta and Paranormal Romance sites and pages, I haven't made it a point to single out my unique reader(s). I've neglected the very group most likely to enjoy reading this series as much as I love writing it. (Who? Keep reading.)

This morning I checked THE HUNTER'S SISTER page on Amazon's website as I do this several times a week. It's what I do to see if I have any new reviews. My eyes were drawn to one of my most recent reviews, a four star (out of five) with the title: Engaging story of Vampire Hunters from the Motherland.

The author, "Beaniebaby NYC,″ a self-identified mother of two who gets very little rest wrote:

"Not as fast-paced and violent as my other favorite paranormal stories, but I enjoyed the tantalizing story of the relationship of Adama and mysterious and God-like Ogo. I loved reading the complexities of their relationship to their fiery coupling! Did I mention the Vampire or Sangsue hunting. . . . . (She wasn't impressed with their fighting, which is okay with me because this wasn't that kind of novel. This novel was about the relationships) However I am looking forward to the next installment of the series to answer questions about Adama's relationship with another God and how she copes with her loss."

I focused on this review because, from the title, the author identified herself as being in my target audience: Engaging story of Vampire Hunters from the Motherland.

She identified the origin of these Hunters as being from the Motherland!

What makes my series different from the others is the source material. My series is centered around Africans! Since chameleon skin is one of their magical traits, the Dogon-Hunters don't always look like black Africans but they know who they are and their Malian homeland and religion is never far from their hearts.

I believe my taste runs like the other readers in my demographic, (African American, college educated, middle-aged, and middle-income) I read and write across genres. Judging by the books in my house and in the houses of my friends, at one time we bought a lot of books. Now that many of us are reading on devices, no doubt lately we're downloading a lot of books. Reading paranormal romances I've noticed that the pantheons represented have ranged from Ancient Greek to futuristic societies; Hunters and villains run the gamut from Romans, Norse, Highlanders and even Mayans. They are Chinese, Japanese, Irish, Fae and part and fully turned Vampires. When I started reading this genre, the group I didn't find represented was Hunters that look like me. That was when I decided to use the Dogons of Mali to represent my Hunters. They are an ethnic and cultural group that excited my interest many years prior to writing my first Dogon Hunter romance. They are, as Beaniebaby NYC said, from the Motherland.

Their real story is interesting in so many ways that I'll never have a chance to address in fiction, but I believe and my fans concur that the fictional back story I've created for them is exciting too.

That's my goal today, I'm seeking out the readers who would be interested in knowing there's a series based on an African tribe; a tribe that is said to have understood evolution long before Charles Darwin.

Spread the word

http://www.dogon-hunter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment